Thursday, March 12, 2009

Worrisome parent stuff...

We went for Wyatt's third visit to the eye doctor to get his pressure and optic nerves checked and everything is mostly fine. The pressure in his eyes last time was L=18, R=28 and they chalked it up to being high (I guess around 10 is ok) because he was crying and squirming. Yesterday, his pressure was L=8 and R=28. And yes, he was screaming and arching and crying. It freakin' kills me having to hold him down while they pull apart his eyes and poke them with that reader thingie... yes, I called it a thingie- I'm no ophthalmologist so I don't know what it's called but it's the rubber tipped pressure reader thingie... and it sucks ass and anyone who tells me 'don't make him cry' while they're prodding him, just pisses me off. And when that same person doesn't check to see the thingie is actually on before poking, also really pisses me off. So yeah, that was even before we saw the doctor, an hour after our appointment time, nearing his dinner time, which really pissed Todd off.

Then the doc comes in and says he wants to make sure of the pressure. I think, hell yeah- YOU take the pressure and make sure it's right. But he has another idea since Wyatt's so upset by now... we can schedule time in the OR and with an anesthesiologist to be on hand and put him under a sedative to get a more accurate reading. What am I supposed to say to that? No? Of course we want to know what the pressure in his eyes are and make sure if he has glaucoma we treat it early on, but jeesh! Anesthesia!? So, I'm more freaked out about the whole anesthesia bit more than the glaucoma thing because none of the other symptoms are there but still. Todd's not worried about it and thinks I'm a little silly for being so freaked out but I am, so there. :)

Between the poking/prodding, the time change, and the fact he's been hella-teething this last week, I really feel bad for the guy. He had a pretty bad spot on his peep that hurt him so much he resorted to throwing full on fits when it was time to change his diapers. We got that fixed with a little nystatin... whew. But he's still hurting in his mouth and drooling, snotty and biting and just all around a bit pee wee. His appetite waned a bit this weekend but is back to normal.

He loves it when Todd or I wear woobies with strings so he can bite on them, that keeps him occupied more than any other toy we could dangle in front of him. That and water bottles, go figure. I'm hoping to get some 10 month pics up of him this weekend. We're really looking forward to our Phoenix trip this next week, definitely more pics then. Until then, I'll try not to worry about putting my son under but then again, I see it as one of the first of many times I get to worry about him and his health.
-wy

No comments: